Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Week #6

After reading the article Generation IM, I see how I grew up in a generation very similar to Generation IM.  I remember my sixth grade teacher told us that when she was younger, she had to look up all her research in books and enclyclopedias.  Even in sixth grade that seemed odd to me.  I had done all my projects on the internet, the difference was I had not discovered Google. Or even more importantly, Google Image.  I would scour the internet to find images, copy them and use them in my project.  Now it seems as though kids just know how to find pictures, type in key words, effectively use search engines.  The statement that kids ten years ago were using books and encyclopedias is wrong, because even at fifth and sixth grade we knew how to use the internet. 

Some things I found  to be surprising in this article is that being on the internet, and social networking devices, and creating things is different from watching television because the child is engaging.  Another thing that surprised me is that children no longer have to memorize information to be good students. Information on any subject is easily accessible, instead the developing skills are analysis and critical thinking of the information they discover.

The last thing that is crucial to educating Generation IM is that teachers need to teach to this generation, and not try to utitilize the tools they used as children.

Some questions I have
How do I use podcasts? Some questions on how to use and operate the differet technologies presented?

No comments:

Post a Comment