Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Week #5 Blogs

I looked up Newtown High School Blog and since I am going to teach Secondary English at a high school, I figured looking up a high school blog would be most beneficial more me as a future educator.

Some things I liked about this blog:
  • Regular postings (a post once a day or more)
  • great innovative design
  • Postings about upcoming events
  • Posts about random things (such as a picture of the empty swimming pool during the summer)
  • Had graphics for every event
  • Pictures for every post that were well captured and aesthetically pleasing
I liked all the pictures of students and activities, it made the school real.  It was not some random website about a school, I could visualize how the campus looked, what kind of students made up the school, I made a personal connection looking through the photos. It made it real for me.
They had postings about events happening at school, in the community, or relevant to students or faculty.  They had a post for new teachers they were introducing to the school.  And a post for their talent show.  It was easy to access for each day, and it was constantly being updated.  Information about all events going on at the high school could be located on the blog.  I liked that it was aesthetically pleasing, it was modern, innovative and carefully designed.  The pictures were well placed and thought through.  My old high school, Kelso High School has an atrocious website, big bulky fonts, unrelated graphics, really heavy on hideous yellow and bright blue.  Take a look for yourself, it is just awful, Kelso Website.
I want a blog that is easily accessible for my students, parents, faculty and administration and easy to navigate.  I want a good design that draws people in.  Constantly updating to keep people informed about current events.  Also, vibrant pictures that capture the moment allow for real connection to take place. They can see inside the classroom, see what my class is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment